Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Affirmations

When it comes to using affirmations, I've heard much conflicting information. There are a great many sources out there that swear by their use and highly recommend them. There are also many others who claim they may not be all that effective. I personally went kind of back and forth with using them for several years. I used them for awhile and then stopped using them for awhile.


It was only during this last year that I really came to a definite conclusion on their true value. I do believe they can be very effective, when used in the correct manner. The key being in how they are used.


I have seen so many sources that encourage us to use them in a way that on a conscious level we end up blocking whatever effect they were meant to have. For example I believe it would do me little good to repeat to myself "I am a millionaire" if I'm so broke I can't even pay attention!


For an affirmation to take effect on you, it must get into your subconscious mind. For anything to get into your subconscious mind, it must first pass through your conscious mind. If you are listening to affirmations subliminally beneath soothing music, they may be more effective even if they are not consciously believable. I have not tested this method enough to say with any authority.


What I have tested on myself is changing the structure of the wording, in which case I have had varying results. I seen many suggestions to put the affirmation in a progressive form. With the above example that would be like saying "I am becoming a millionaire."


I'm not so sure this would be much easier to accept on a conscious level if I were suffering financially. I do think it is better than the first example however.


If money is a big issue for you, I might suggest taking an entirely different route that would produce the same end result. This would be a method that could be believable no matter what your current financial situation may be.



"I am becoming increasingly aware of more and better ideas that may increase my wealth in great ways. As I dwell upon these lucrative ideas in thought, my confidence grows and I begin to take real action. First on the small ideas. With time and increased confidence, I become more daring and the results become equally more rewarding. Life is truly becoming fun for me"



Nothing in the above affirmation indicates you are anything but what you are. However, it gives a strong feeling of growth toward a highly desired objective, even if this objective is to become a millionaire.


You can use this same formula with any material goal you desire by slightly changing the wording. "I am becoming increasingly aware of more and better ideas that will help me to get (the car of your dreams)..."


Most importantly in using any affirmation is to use the words that inspire the feelings inside of you that are in harmony with what you desire. Above where I said "lucrative ideas", you might substitute "wonderful ideas, wealthy ideas, incredible ideas, etc." The idea is that I believe the very best affirmations are those you either come up with yourself or borrowed from someone else but use only after you have changed a few words to make it your own.


In writing your own affirmations, you do want to follow a few simple but very important rules. First, keep them ALWAYS in the positive. "I AM becoming my ideal weight" rather than "I am no longer overweight." To make this rule simpler, only describe the ideal outcome, the end result.


The above examples describe what we might call material type goals. They are goals that you can physically measure or quantify. There is another type of goal that I would like to touch on as well. Often we would like to change something about our personality or character. These goals are not so easily measured as are weight or wealth or possessions.


Being happy for example, can be a worthy goal if you are often depressed. Being confident if you are suffering from a low perception of self (self-esteem). Being calm if you are known to have a quick temper.


Simply repeating "I am happy" when you are suffering from depressive thoughts may do you little good. Like the millionaire example at the beginning of this blog, you may consciously reject it if you just don't feel it. And saying "I am becoming happy" is perhaps better, but there is another way around this that is likely the best path to take.


Forget about describing yourself in the state you wish to be if you honestly can't make yourself believe it. There is a way to get this very result no matter what you are feeling about yourself now. Again, it comes through placing your focus in a different way that will bring the desired result to you without resistance.


I am happy. "Happy" is an adjective. If it is an adjective that does not truly describe you, it will do you little good to try and believe it, so don't! Change the adjective to a noun and focus ONLY on that word.



HAPPINESS


What does happiness mean to you? What comes to your mind when you think about the word "Happiness?" Do you see children playing? Do you see yourself in a rich and luxurious lifestyle? Do you see your favorite sport? Someone you love?


I don't care what it is you think about, but if you hold the word happiness in your mind and dwell on it searching for meaning to the word, you will begin thinking of things that bring happiness to your inner experience. You will become happy!


This works the same with Confidence.

It works the same with Calmness.

It works the same with Intelligence.


Think of any quality you would like to manifest in your being and dwell upon that quality. You will begin to feel it. Once you do begin to feel it, you can then begin to won if by saying AND believing "I AM happiness" or "I AM confidence" or "I AM Calmness" or "I AM intelligence."


Don't blindly accept affirmations, and don't blindly reject them either. They can be valuable IF used correctly and used in the way your mind works. Experiment with them. I have only touched on a few points relative to their use here as my space is very limited.


I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject as well. Do let me know.


I want YOU to succeed!!



Jeffrey Brandt

Author of Close Your Eyes to Find Your Way and Manifest By Design Now.




All writings here are copyrighted by Jeffrey Brandt. You may not use them without written permission but you may link to the posts or give out a link to the posts. If you enjoy the content of this blog, you can find more by Jeffrey Brandt by visiting My Website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who can comment? Registered users - includes OpenID.