Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Having a bad day are we?

I’m generally a pretty happy kind of guy. I see this as being normal. However, I have been asked on several occasions by people who know me, if I ever have a bad day? The manner in which I’ve been asked this on occasion has gotten me to thinking that some people seem to have an aversion to feeling too happy, as if something is wrong with this.



Well, bad days I think are in my past. But I do have bad experiences in that there are things that happen to me that get me feeling down or even angry at times. I’m not so privileged as to be able to completely avoid “the real world” as some would say. What I mean is that things can and do happen to anybody that may not be to their liking. The difference in the way we react to these experiences.


When I am feeling down or depressed about something, it is usually not too long before I realize that hey “you’re depressed!” Then I smile to myself at this realization that I am an evolving human being who still needs a reminder every now and then that life is infinitely wonderful, and that I merely slipped from being conscious of this fact. That is my belief.


I take it as a wake up call to actively do something to change my energy. I go into a quiet state of relaxation and use my imagination to conjure up more peaceful and inspiring thoughts and images on the screen of my mind, or I actively take part in a more exhilarating activity, something physical.


I may choose to pop in a good video that makes me think about the miracle of the universe or read a good book. You might try music, if that suits you. The important thing is to make something inspiring, to transcend the lower energy. You don’t want to simply distract yourself from those feelings or they will still be lurking underneath your conscious awareness to resurface at another time.


When I feel angry over some very negative influence, I know that I need to take some very serious action. I believe there is nothing more toxic than to hold onto anger or resentful feelings. These are like weapons that do ourselves more damage than to anyone we may be directing them towards.


The most powerful countermeasure I have yet found for dissipating these strong emotions is found in doing something really helpful for another human being. I believe it is even more effective when that someone is a total stranger. Someone who would never in a million years be expecting the help you offer so freely.


One of the activities that comes to my mind as I write this is that I live in a place where winters can bring lots of snow. I remember this last winter; I had just such an episode. As I realized that anger over something was taking over my composure. Actually it wasn’t taking it over; I was giving control to it! In any case, I immediately reminded myself to do what I knew so well to do.


It was during a particularly harsh winter storm. I knew I could likely step outside the door and find someone who needed assistance getting their car unstuck from the heavy snow. Lo and behold, in the intersection in front of my home there was a car and three people who had really gotten themselves in just the kind of jam I needed. I was out there in a flash to save the day.


When I finished helping them out, I thanked them! And do you know the best part about this true story? I do not remember what it was that had me so angry that evening.


Bad day? No. I think bad moments are enough. Train yourself to recognize when you are giving control over to a negative vibe and to respond accordingly. Do something good for another human being, especially a stranger. Now there is where you will find the power of a good deed.


This blog posting is not one to simply read and forget. Make this a part of your consciousness and put it into practice every chance you get. You will be rewarded greatly, and that will be my reward. Thanks for reading and have a “GOOD” day.



Jeffrey Brandt





All writings here are copyrighted by Jeffrey Brandt. You may not use them without written permission but you may link to the posts or give out a link to the posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who can comment? Registered users - includes OpenID.