Friday, May 28, 2010

Dorito never minds!

When I started out writing this blog, I really didn’t intend to bring my family into it. However, I AM a family guy, and as a family, we’ve had some pretty good times with writing my posts. This one is a good example.


My wife was feeling a little less than optimal this morning, physically. It’s not age. She is just a spring chicken. Anyway, when I saw her sitting at the kitchen table, I noticed she seemed to be focusing on her not feeling so well. I could see in her expression where her focus was.


I reminded her that she needed to consciously shift her focus if she wanted any relief from feeling so miserable. I quickly explained a simple but effective technique that has been one of my favorites.


Think about whatever you are feeling, in a word or two. In her case, it was “pain” and “frustration” (due to feeling the pain). Then you need to think about what words would describe the opposite feeling. Again, in this case they would be “good” and “free.”


I wanted to make the technique more powerful so I substituted the word “good” for “Great” or “wonderful” and we stayed with “free.” Then we changed these adjectives to the noun form to make them into something real. GREATNESS and FREEDOM.


I asked her to repeat these words over and over again in her head or even better, out loud. While doing this, she needed to conjure up the feelings that were best described by these words. I gave the best example I could by actually closing my eyes and saying the words with the most feeling I could muster up.


My expression began to change to match the essence of the words I was saying. “Greatness! Freedom! I feel GREATNESS! I feel FREEDOM!” And I continued. I explained to her that the mind could be compared to a little puppy dog that just wants to go wandering off at every opportunity.


If we allow it to go wandering off, it usually gets itself (us) into trouble of some sort. We begin to fall prey to negative influences. Like a little puppy, you have to train your mind to stay on task. You have to keep it on a tight leash until it learns not to go off on every tangent.


My wife seemed to catch the general concept and she liked the idea of the undisciplined puppy comparison. She then said she was going to jump in the shower. I told her to enjoy the warm water caressing her muscles and imagine the water washing the pain and tension down the drain.


Later, when she came out of the shower, she told me she did what I told her. I assumed she was talking about allowing the water to wash her pain down the drain. She quickly corrected me by saying that she had to take a newspaper to the little puppy a few times, because he kept insisting on running off.


I asked if the puppy was OK, to which she replied “Oh yes, he’s still wiggling with excitement just to see I’m paying attention to him! He can be a naughty little devil, but yet he’s so sweet.”


With this, I knew she had captured the idea, and I was pleased to see that she was adding humor to it. This increases the effectiveness even more. She even went so far as to tell me her puppy was a tiny little Chihuahua named “Dorito.”



So I would like to dedicate this post to Dorito. Good boy!



Please leave your comments here or on my Facebook page.

Thank you,



Jeffrey Brandt

Author of Close Your Eyes to Find Your Way: A Guide to Discovering Your Higher Self.






All writings here are copyrighted by Jeffrey Brandt. You may not use them without written permission but you may link to the posts or give out a link to the posts. If you enjoy the content of this blog, you can find more by Jeffrey Brandt by visiting

                                                                  Jeffrey Brandt Products

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who can comment? Registered users - includes OpenID.